13 July 2009

jamming: Wilco [the album] [the blog post]


Tracklisting:
Wilco (the song)
Deeper Down
One Wing
Bull Black Nova
You And I
You Never Know
Country Disappeared
Solitaire
I’ll Fight
Sonny Feeling
Everlasting Everything


Despite the fact that this album ties the band's arm behind its collective back and let's my wife land solid punches of semi-valid criticism of rampant pretension and overt self-importance, I must say I rather enjoy and heartily recommend this eponymous record.

They built such a wall of negative rapport with Rach based largely on their 3 hour set and un-abashed/-apologetic/-ironic double encore. They can't help it, they have an extensive catalog, all of which I gladly celebrate.

It is with celebration then that I listen to this album and hear small snippets from every stage of their career. Wilco [the song] gives a nice recollection of Being There/Summerteeth-era alt-countriness. One Wing displays the guitar savy of A Ghost is Born. Sky Blue Sky evidences itself in the Feist sing-along You & I. Country Disappeared even voices the b-side live version of I Shall Be Released, performed this past election cycle with Fleet Foxes. And perhaps the strongest track on the entire disc is I'll Fight. Here Mr. Tweedy uses his a bouncy melody to cover some serious subject matter. Enjoy this disc as a sort of 'Best of... the First Time Around': new songs, with bits and pieces of every facet of what you already love (or maybe resent).

No comments:

reftagger